Monday, November 5, 2012

Proverbial QAL ~ Sleep

A finish to share today ~ we have a few moments of sunshine after a week of dreary fall weather, so I rushed outside with my completed "Sleep" quilt for some photos.  This post is a little photo heavy, I hope you don't mind!  One explanation: on the back you'll see that I added a bright little circle of Laurie Wisburn's Brrr! fabric.  It was a bit of a happy accident.  I had quilted the swirls and then looked at the back and there was a very obvious flaw in the backing fabric in that spot, which I hadn't noticed before.  It was exactly on the spot where a swirl was so I unpicked those quilting stitches, cut a circle of Brrr! and affixed it using a sewable Heat 'n Bond product, re-did the quilting in that spot and voila!  A fun little surprise on the back.  :)  This quilt is now listed in my shop.








Quilt stats:

Finished size:  34" x 51"
Pattern:  Proverbial Quilt by Denyse Schmidt (QAL on flickr, here)
Fabric:  variety of colourful scraps, Kona Oyster, Kona Cloud, Sweetwater Reunion Sally's Skirt (background sections of letters), Michael Miller Backyard Babies 'Samaras' (binding), gray/white pin dot backing
Quilted by:  me, using Gutermann thread in light blue and off-white

Fresh Poppy Design

24 comments:

felicity said...

Absolutely fantastic, Heather! The quilting turned out perfectly, all of it. Love the extra little zing from the Brr! circle. Very cute.

Krista Schneider said...

completely rockin' awesome! it looks so good, it's ridiculous. I'd been thinking of trying a quilting pattern JUST like this, after doing regular all over swirls on my last quilt. UGH it looks so great I can't wait to try it now! And the straight lines behind the letters are perfect, great work! This will sell in no time, surely :D

Kelli said...

This quilting is amazing! Great job, Heather!

Patti said...

Simply gorgeous Heather! love your quilting around SLEEP and the swirls are wonderful. That little piece of Brr! is heavenly! congratulations on another great finish.

Erica said...

I love how this turned out, especially that little circle of Brrr on the back!

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

I love that circle detail on the back. Such a fun surprise! :)

-Amanda-

Tennjenny said...

This is ridiculously cute. Love it.

CJ said...

Your quilting is amazing! I love that little surprise on the back.

Kimberly said...

So fun Heather! Great job! I know it won't last long in your shop :o)

mle said...

Beautiful! the quilting is so gorgeous!

Kristan said...

Oh yay! It looks great, Heather. The quilting turned out lovely.

Nat at Made in Home said...

Looking great! Love the brrr addition!

Kirsten said...

Really beautiful - love the dense quilting.

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Oh I love this! Your quilting looks amazing! I love the little spot of brightness on the back - you can totally play that off as intentional ;)

Gorgeous quilt all round!

Susan said...

I love the colors you used for your letters and the quilting looks awesome! Great job!

LimeRiot said...

SO marvelous!! I love the quilting technique. It actually looks like it's part of the print on the fabric. Really great!

CitricSugar said...

It turned out so great - it looks cozy and inviting for sleeping, that's for sure!

Clever fix, too.

janae king...sewing patterns said...

This quilt is so FUN! love it.

Kate said...

It looks amazing! Your FMQ has gotten awesome so quickly!

♥Duff said...

I have to agree with #19, Kate--your FMQ is amazing! This quilt is going to make a little one very happy and snuggly!

Katie B said...

The quilting really turned out perfectly!

Debbie said...

This is great! I adore your quilting around the letters - you knew exactly what they needed!!

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

I love how you quilted this.. Great job..

Poppyprint said...

Gorgeous!! I am so sorry I missed this post (what a hopeless QAL leader I am). I love the design and quilting you've done - way to go!