Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cuzco baby quilt

Not quite as fast as Jess, who just made a quilt in a day (!!!), but I think this is a record for me - start to finish in about 4 days of on/off sewing time.  And I couldn't be more pleased with how this little quilt turned out.  It is now listed in my Etsy shop.

{finished size: 34" x 42"}

My inspiration was this quilt by Lu.  I loved it when I saw it and knew that I'd use my Kate Spain Cuzco charm pack.  Then, completely against what I normally do, I used pure white as a background and as you can see, I got carried away and bordered and bound it in white as well!


For the first time, I used a double layer of cotton batting for this quilt (thanks to all who gave me advice about this last week).  The batting I was trying to use up is so very thin, so I thought it wouldn't make much difference, but boy was I wrong!  It adds so much more weight to the quilt and a lot more poof too!  I am glad that I didn't venture out to do FMQ on this one though, with the double layer of batting.  That said, I don't know if anything other than straight lines could keep with the simplicity of this quilt anyways.


The quilt is backed with a quilting cotton I found in the clearance section at my local Fabricland - it doesn't even have anything printed on the selvedge so I have no idea what it is, but it suits this little quilt perfectly.  The above photo doesn't quite do it justice (on a side note, I learned that it's really difficult to photograph pure white on a sunny day!)

And, exciting news, this little quilt will be going into my Etsy shop, which should hopefully be opening up in the next week or so!!  I'm sort of setting October 1 as my launch date, not that I expect a booming business but I'm excited none the less about getting started.

34 comments:

felicity said...

Fantastic little quiltie!

Svetlana said...

yay! good for you, opening your etsy shop, how fun. And this quilt is wonderful! Love how all your points line up perfectly, wow!!!

Cathy said...

I love the white!!!! The white binding is awesome!

Deborah said...

This is just so lovely and inspiring! I love the white with the Cuzco.

LimeRiot said...

4 days?! This would take me 4 years :). So lovely. Your quilting lines are soooo straight.

Susan said...

This quilt is gorgeous! I am so glad the double batting decided to play nice! A great finish!

QuiltNut Creations said...

Fabulous!! I love how you kept the quilting so simple. And the white background just makes the colors pop. Congrats on the finish.

Jenelle said...

This came together quickly and looks fantastic! I think the all white is perfect for this. :)

Congrats Heather on your new Etsy shop!!

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

I love HSTs... And your quilt looks fabulous! pinning it! I am your new follower too! Hope to be comimg back often!

CJ said...

Ohhhhhh, I love this! Maybe THIS is what I will do with my Summer House charm pack!! I was just never sure what to do with it. What kind of batting was it that you doubled up??

Wendy said...

Beautiful! The fabric is perfect for the design

Wendy said...

Beautiful! The fabric is perfect for the design

CityHouseStudio said...

It's so fabulous, Heather!
I love the quilting, too, just perfect for this quilt!
A beautiful finish!!!

Kate said...

It's gorgeous! A great pattern, and a great little quilt to kick off your Etsy venture!

Debbie said...

oh this turned out so nice!! Good luck launching your etsy site!

Carla said...

It's beautiful! I love kate spain against white. The fabrics just pop : )

Krista Schneider said...

you rock! four days is fast by my standards, lol. love the white, and good luck with the shop!

Kristan said...

This is a perfect baby quilt! Good luck with your shop!

Annabella said...

I love these HST quilts and plan to make myself one very soon. The fabric you used it perfect!

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

This is beautiful! I love the simplicity of the pattern. Good luck to you with Etsy! Yay!

Katie B said...

Hooray! This looks fantastic. It does look extra squishy with two layers of batting. Great job!

Jeanette said...

Love this quilt. Good luck with your shop opening! Question- I have a charm pack on my table now and I plan to do HST in a chevron design. Did you leave them as 5 inch squares, and if so what was your finished block size?

Kelli said...

Great job! It's so cute and perfect for your etsy shop!

Kelly said...

Beautiful! I love the colours & your quilting is just perfect for it. Really gorgeous!

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

a lovely bright little quilt!

Alison V. said...

This is so cute and simple! The fabrics are darling. :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Beautiful Heather! Congrats on starting your Etsy shop, one day I'll be brave enough! You make such gorgeous things I'm sure it'll be a success :)

Chelsea said...

It looks so good Heather! I can't get over how quickly you finished it, too!

beth said...

Great quilt! You chose the perfect backing too!

Kerstin said...

Lovely! I've never thought of white binding, but that looks really great.

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

I've never thought of doubling up on the batting, but it's a great idea. I just finished quilting a couple of quilts that just felt too flimsy for fall/winter quilts. I'll remember this idea in the future.

Beth said...

It is beautiful! I love how the white binding makes the print fabric really stand out.

Heather said...

It looks beautiful! I recently did my first quilt with white border and binding, too, and I loved it. Best of luck with your new shop!

Anonymous said...

I really like your quilt. The double batting turned out great. I will have to try that.