Tuesday, April 17, 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I don't think I even posted a W.i.P. Wednesday post last week, so I have a bit to update. In the last few weeks, I have finished a few things. The Octagonal Orb cushion {blogged here} and this "Fast Forward" quilt top, named by my son Levi! I need to purchase a backing for it (always where I get stalled out) and get to quilting.


Next up is my very first jelly roll project. I purchased a Sweetwater Pure jelly roll that Tracey was destashing. Brown and blue are not my favourite colours, and certainly not ones that I naturally gravitate towards when choosing fabrics, but I've just been dying to have a crack at using a jelly roll, the price was right, and it will make a lovely gift for someone. I've started working on a strip tube quilt, using this tutorial. Kona Snow will be the background colour, and I've set aside the lightest coloured jelly roll strips and will use some of them for the binding.


Postage Stamp Quilt - no progress on this one in quite a few weeks. It's still hanging on my bedroom wall, affixed with green painter's tape! My plan is to frame it with wide, off-set borders, but I need to peruse the Kona solids some more and narrow it down. I want to be bold and use a colour, as opposed to white or gray.


Upcoming projects:

* four cushions for living room using Reunion fat quarters
* lined drawstring bag for niece's birthday, "snack" size
* awaiting first fabric package for my bee, will be making a triangle log cabin for Rebecca

P.S. I've been wanting to try Aurifil thread for quite some time but am not certain that it is sold anywhere locally. I searched online, and asked around to a few bloggers, and came across this website. They sell the 50wt cotton thread for $4 for the small spools and $10.50 for the large spools, with only $2 shipping to Canada and the U.S., no matter how large or small the order! I haven't received my order yet, but from what I understand the price is comparable to other places, and really, the shipping can't be beat.

18 comments:

felicity said...

I truly love your postage stamp quilt!

I really like to use thrifted duvet covers or sheets (IKEA only because I know they're 100% cotton) for quilt backings. You get a lot of bang for your buck, fabric wise, when you thrift. Just wash in hot to deal with the "ick factor."

Jenelle said...

Pink Castle also carries a small selection of Aurifil. I think they only have the large spools, but they are around $9 with $2 shipping (I just bought some white). I am excited about your border color for the postage stamp quilt. You could use almost any color and not go wrong. :)

Susan said...

Love the Fast Forward quilt!!! Your son has a very creative mind when it comes to naming quilts! Look forward to seeing the jelly roll quilt!

Sarah said...

Fast forward quilt is great!

I know what you mean about stalling at the backing point - unless I've chosen fabric for the back initially then I dither terribly.

Looking forward to seeing your jelly roll quilt - I used Pure to make a baby quilt and I love that collection.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Love them all! I think a bright blue border would look great on your postage stamp...

Kate said...

You've got some bright and cheery projects going on there! Love Fast Forward!

Katie said...

As soon as my charms from the swaps I"m in arrive, I"m starting a postage stamp quilt. I agree with you that it needs a good colour background. I love how Chelsea's turned out with the orange.....

Jessica Kelly said...

Love that fast forward quilt! So fun and the colors are great. Cant wait to see what comes of your jelly roll quilt!

Katie B said...

Cool projects! I love your Fast Forward. I always try to use stash fabric for backings, but it can be really hard!

Debbie said...

oh I love the pattern you are using for your new quilt - isn't it awesome unrolling your jelly roll?? Also anxious to see what solid you choose for your postage stamp....lots of great progress, Heather!

Kleep said...

Everything is looking great! I love the Pure fabric line, I bought some FQs and made two quilts from it! I'm sure it will look fantastic when you are done!!

Patti said...

Great work as always, Heather. I was noticing your wall colour behind your postage stamps quilts! Maybe a shade similar would look amazing too! I hear you about grey and white! I'm all greyed out for a while too. You are going to love Aurifil!

Poppyprint said...

Heather, if you want to buy locally, Carola's Quilts in Sechelt http://shop.carola.ca/ is an Aurifil distributor. She'll be at our big show in North Van on June 8-9. I hope you can come over for it! Aside from the awesome Aurifil deals, there will be about 200 beautiful quilts to see!

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

Beautiful quilts, Heather. I just made the move to Aurifil myself and am very pleased with the results!! Its worth the extra money.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I LOVE the fast forward, so brilliant! The postage stamp will look great with a bright border. I'm loving Aurifil too :)

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Just nominated you for a Liebster award!
http://theelvengarden.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/liebster-blog.html

Kelli said...

I love the postage stamp quilt! I got all of one pieced one time and just didn't love it. I put it in the WIP basket and have intentions of taking it out this summer and reinventing it somehow...I think the wall color behind yours looks great with it, so a bold color is certainly the way to go!

Teresa F. said...

Lovely projects. The postage stamp quilt is impressive and I also like the Fast forward. I love flying geese.