Thursday, April 12, 2012

Orb Cushion

{finished size: 18" x 18"}

The scrappy Octagonal Orb block {tutorial found here} I made last weekend became a cushion yesterday. The top is not quilted per se, as in I did not use batting, but I did back it with a muslin like fabric and did four rounds of stitching, one around each of the patchwork rows, just to keep all of those seam allowances in check! For assembling the pillow cover, I once again used this tutorial by Julie Herman. The fabric I used for the back is "Man's Best Friend" by Henry Glass, in Polka Dot Red:


And in other news, yesterday I received this lovely FQ bundle of Reunion by Sweetwater for Moda (ordered from Fabric Shoppe on etsy). My intentions for this fabric was originally new cushion covers for our livingroom, but I'm not totally sure....orrrrr maybe I should just stick with the plan as our cushions do need a bit of a makeover. :)


Linking up to Finish It Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts


Sew Darn Crafty @ Sew Many Ways

21 comments:

Toni said...

Very pretty, Heather! I can see where that block would be cool in lots of different color patterns, too. And have fun with that pretty new fabric!

Jan said...

Love your cushion cover.

Katie B said...

Love the orb pillow! So cool!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

ADORE the cushion! Such a cool block. Reunion is a great line, it'll make lovely cushions :)

Rosa said...

Beautiful cushion cover!!

Alisa said...

I love the orb cushion!

And fun fabric mail too. Have fun with it!

Jenelle said...

What would you do with the fabric if you didn't make cushions? Maybe you have a secret plan hatching? ;)

Susan said...

The new fabric would look great in the Octagonal Orb block!

Poppyprint said...

LOVE your scrappy octagonal orb pillow - nice job piecing that! That's a tute I've bookmarked to try one day as well.

Patti said...

That cushion is fantastic, Heather!

Jennifer said...

Heather that looks great! Im glad you tried it!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Love your cushion! I'm so making one of those blocks soon!

Debbie said...

What a great cushion - I haven't made one in so long, it's kind of scary now! Great new fabric whatever you decide! ;-)

QuiltNut Creations said...

super cute cushion.

Kat said...

Great pillow! I've bookmarked the tutorial now, I'd like to try one.

Deborah said...

Love this cushion! I'm a new follower! :o) Deb.

Beth said...

I very much like your cushion cover. I'm slowly changing all my pillows from the simple one piece of fabric cover to more detailed, more involved covers. Yours is inspiring me to get even more detailed.

Nicole said...

That pillow cover is gorgeous, Heather! I love the colors you chose and such a bold pattern. Lovely!

Little Island Quilting said...

Love your orb cushion...really great colours.

Tsoniki said...

I love the Reunion fabric! And the orb block is very cool.

felicity said...

The orb is awesome!