Monday, March 5, 2012

Chrysalis is finally finished!

Katie told me not to come back until Chrysalis was finished, and asides from the Modern Mini Challenge quilt, which I already had ready to post, I have listened to Katie! hehe All in jest, of course, but nevertheless I am so excited to finally be able to show off a finished Chrysalis! We're having some serious wind today, so I did my best with the photos in between gusts!


I started this project several months ago, and was inspired by Krista's Full Circle quilt. I used 2 charm packs of Chrysalis by Moda, and about 1.75yds of Nugray solid by Free Spirit (purchased at Modern Fabric Studio, highly recommended and reasonable shipping to Canada). This quilt finished at about 48.5" x 59".

For the backing I used "Scrappy and Happy" by Janet Selck for Northcott Fabrics, purchased at my local Fabricland store. The orange was a perfect match and I couldn't pass it up! I had four leftover blocks from the top that I incorporated into the backing. I used the same fabric from the backing for the binding. I've done this on a few of my recent quilts and I really like it! I always have leftover backing fabric so might as well put it to use. This is what the back looks like with the sun shining through.....kind of fun, hey?

The binding.....

And lastly, a few indoor shots which are not quite as nice but I think show the quilting lines and the backing a bit better.




Phew! Sorry for the picture overload, I'm just so pleased with this project! This quilt will become a snuggler on our living room couch. I think I will try to claim it for myself as much as possible. :-)

One final note about this project. For the first time I used Hobbs Heirloom Natural Cotton Batting with scrim, just to try something different. At first when I took it out of the package, I was feeling a bit unsure about it. It is VERY thin, thinner than the 80/20 Hobbs Heirloom that I have used in the past. It also seemed pretty linty when working with it. I noticed a lot of little cotton fluffs during the quilting process!! BUT the positives, it is very soft and machine quilted very nicely. And now that the quilt is finished and washed, it doesn't seem quite so thin so I thinked it fluffed up nicely. I have enough of this batting (purchased 2 king sized pre-packaged batts in this type) for quite a few more projects so I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for coming along on this quilting journey with me!



sew many ways

Fresh Poppy Design

Eat, Grow, Sew at Blue Bird Sews

27 comments:

Debbie said...

oh your quilt is SO awesome! What a way to put charms to their best use! Your placement really shows them off in a great way!! If this the first quilt quilted with your new machine?? It is very cool! I've been thinking of getting a circle attachment for my machine - does yours have one or if not, how did you mark your quilt for quilting? AND that orange backing/binding is perfect. All in all, a finish to be proud of!!

Jennifer said...

I love this quilt! I have my materials and im definitely pulling a copycat at some point - great job with the quilting and backing! It's gorgeous!!

Kate said...

The quilting is just perfect for this quilt! I love how it all came together - very nice job!

Jenelle said...

Yay! Beautiful finish! The backing is so fun. :) I love the color graduation on the quilt top and the way that you quilted it to emphasis it!

Quiltification said...

That is gorgeous.

Kleep said...

That has come out so beautifully, and I love the way you've quilted it!

Alisa said...

I love it! The quilting looks super too!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

aaahhhh this is stunning, it might well be my favourite so far!! The backing and binding are so perfect. Love the design and the quilting is perfect. Amazing job. LOVE!

Izzy said...

Beautiful job... I love everything about this quilt... the charms, the backing, the binding and the quilting. Amazing, amazing finish!

What Comes Next? said...

It looks fabulous Heather! Your circular quilting is just so perfect on it (as it was on Krista's, too!)

CityHouseStudio said...

It's just stunning, Heather!
Your quilting finishes this beautiful quilt perfectly!
Great choice for the binding, too!

Katie B said...

I'll try not to let the power go to my head. :)

I Love this, Heather! Well worth the wait. The circle quilting is just the perfect touch. Awesome job!

Poppyprint said...

Congratulations! It's so great when you complete a quilt and just love it. Great binding!! and you already know i love the quilting ;)

Anonymous said...

I really like the quilting (and the quilt is beautiful!). I think this is something I'm going to try myself. Well done!

Kat said...

Great job! The colors are great and I especially love the circles you quilted.

KristyLou said...

The quilt is amazing. The pictures of it are so fun. I love that circle quilting!!

Anonymous said...

Heather, I check in here once in a while, to see what you're up to. Can I just say that I LOVE your stuff, and am so impressed by your skill and ability, and creativity and imagination. (I love Chrysalis!) Maybe someday I'll commision you to make something for me :)
Trudy

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Very Impressive Work!! Good luck getting it back to yourself!

Heather said...

Awesome! Your quilting looks fabulous! :o)

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

you did such a great job on this quilt start to finish! The circular quilting makes such an impact! Well done!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! You have made really beautiful quilt! That is just so wonderful pattern and shoes lovely the fabrics! Circle quilting is perfect for this quilt! Thank you inspiration! x Teje

Jacey said...

I truly love this quilt. The way you pieced the fabrics, the quilting, I love it all!

Abby said...

I love the circle quilting! So cool!

Jodi said...

I love this quilt and have purchased the fabric to make my own version of it a llllooooonnnggg time ago! I have to say, I still love this quilt and am about to start my own. By any chance do you remember what size strips you used on each of the charm squares or what size your border is? Thanks!

Heather D. said...

Jodi, there is no email address attached to your blogger profile so I hope you check back here!! The strips between print squares are 1.75" wide and the borders are 3" wide. I used 1/4" seams for everything. Hope that helps!

Jodi said...

Thank you. I didn't realize that my email isn't on my profile. I will change that. Thank you also for the help. I an going to get started very soon.

Marlene @ KISSed Quilts . com said...

Heather --thank you for your inspiration. I've finally made my own version. http://kissedquilts.blogspot.com/2017/07/oh-baby-ib-challenge-result-with.html